Its a new year and I did miss the first Friday but I forgive me 🙂 Today’s 5 things I love shall be Art, because Little and I are having such a tremendously fun time making our Art Journals. Which may not be the same as fine art but art is art and it all makes the soul sing. Also one of my goals for this year is to “pretty it up” more on that Monday but for now 5 pieces of art that have me in AWE right now.
I just love trees.
Illustration by Marla Frazee from the book Stars.
Witchcraft by ~Felideus
Totem ~ Susan Boulet
Well shucks this week went somewhere. Here it is Friday and I feel like I haven’t written at all this week.
I am grateful for:
- Knowing how to cook. When I want food I can make it and it is good. I never can understand why some people look down on cooking or think it’s not an important skill.
- the abundance of yummy food this time of year. Besides the taste it is beautiful I love the bright colors, the orange pumpkins and the green brussel sprouts and the red pomegranate.
- fantastic friends old and new. This week I have got to spend time with a good friend. It just makes me so happy and filled with joy.
- having good people in my life that I can talk to about all manner of things and not worry that they are going to think I have suddenly lost all my marbles.
- my wonderful family who I love beyond words.
Fridays are the time that I share 5 things that I love right now in this moment. Today I want to share a little about my food obsession. Also as today is the first day of June we are starting our new theme with Little which is Food. We live in a very agriculturally rich area. Food and food politics have been part of my life since I can remember. I still tell Little every time we buy grapes that when I was a kid I never had grapes because well ‘No Uvas” Now I am still involved and concerned about the food we eat. I think that what we put in our bodies is extremely important. It can make us sick or it can make us healthy.
All that said I LOVE food. I love to eat, I love to cook, I just plain love food. There is no better way (in my world) to show someone you love them then by feeding them. So before I jet and make tonight’s dinner. I want to share with you some of my favorite foods for right now. If you follow me on pinterest these may look familiar 🙂 Click the pictures to take you to the original blog with the recipes and enjoy!
First up freezer meals. This lovely woman has posted the recipes and the shopping list. Bless her heart! They are all crock pot recipes making them super easy to have dinner on the table even during the most hectic day. I have a friend that is due with her 3rd child on Monday and while baby will come on its own time I am shopping and making these for her this weekend.
I know it is summer but I love soup all year round. I love soup all year round. I particularly love Mexican soup with lime and avocados in the summer. It is refreshing and for me it is comfort food. It reminds me of the 3 weeks I spent in Oaxaca (many years ago) visiting my aunt and cousin.
What could be more summery then salad? Plus these are convenient and just adorable. Again she gives you the shopping list and recipes and all of this can be prepared say Saturday after the market while Little is napping. This will give me yummy lunches (especially with the soup from above) for the whole week.
Speaking of salads. I am absolutely in love with Cobb Salad at the moment. Honestly what is not to love? I have had it 4 times in the last week!
Ok Martha knows her stuff! I made this the other week but witched out the raspberries for strawberries as I got but strawberries and rhubarb in my CSA box. When I was making it my hubby wrinkled his nose and said he didn’t like strawberry/ rhubarb deserts. Frankly that is just crazy talk! Yet some how half of the dish was missing when I sat down to it. humm? He told me later that it was AMAZING so there you go!
Happy eating! What foods are you loving right now?
Fridays are such happy days. Today is certainly family fun day.
1. Little and I went on our “adventure” to Grammy’s house. We went for a lovely walk and played outside in the sunshine. My folks house is a little out in the country and it is such a cool place for kids to explore. Pretty awesome for “adults” such as myself too. We had lots of fun. Grammy just got Little a magnifying glass and they had a blast looking at the plants and dirt.
2. Lunch with Grammy. Grilled cheese sandwiches with super sauce. Ah this takes me back to my childhood.
3. This evening entertainment. ok I’m not quite sure what it will be. I wish I had Fantasia as a DVD I only have a VHS and no VCR. We are going to have make-your-own-pizzas and I am making strawberry rhubarb crisp because both were in my CSA box. I love strawberry & rhubarb!
4.I love my family. In case you don’t know that about me I am really all about family. I love that we live so close to my parents and that Little and I get to spend so much time playing with my mom. I love that Little gets to do sleep over at Grammy and Grandpa’s often. I honestly wish my husband’s family lived closer so I could see them more, but I am thankful for the family that is close.
5. I love love love my hubby for working his butt off so that I get to stay home with Little. I love my hubby for many things, but this gift he gives me and Little is something that will last a life time.
(I loved driving home from Grammy’s and having little fall asleep in the car listening to Mama Cass Elliott singing “Dream A Little Dream Of Me”)